Sunday, October 21, 2012

Bottles and Books

Well I had to go it alone yesterday. Mom had out of town company and was unable to join me. I had a couple of sales mapped out and on a whim decided to add the Flea Market to my destinations for the day.
So here is a review of how things turned out.

Stop number one - Advertised as a 60 year collector's sale.

 I arrived very early to this sale hoping to grab up the good stuff. Turns out there was not really that much good stuff to grab up and the prices were way too high (especially if you were buying to resell). I ended up buying two books for myself. The one thing I saw that I was pretty excited about was a 1931 Singer Sewing Library Set. I managed to talk them down on the price (but even then it was still more than I like to pay). Since I love to sew and collect sewing related items I wanted this sweet little set for myself so I forked over the money. The other book I bought was "The Story of Augusta", published in 1980 it tells the history of my beloved hometown.












Since I wrapped up sale number one in about 10 minutes it was now about seven o'clock in the morning and the other sale I had planned to go to wasn't starting for a couple of hours so I had some time on my hands. I stopped at a gas station and picked up a paper to see if any other sales were open this early. No luck so on a whim I decided to drive out to the Flea Market.

Stop number two - The Flea Market

I arrived at the Flea Market around seven thirty and I think I was the first one there. Somehow I thought the Flea Market vendors were ready to go pretty early but I guess I was wrong. With a little time to kill I read the paper and looked through the two books I had purchased at stop one. Slowly but surely vendors started arriving and setting up. I ended up spending a couple of hours there but was very disappointed that my favorite shop (where I bought the paper lace a while back) was not open. It was a beautiful morning though and I enjoyed plundering through all the junk and had a wonderful conversation with on older gentlemen about old bottles and jars. I ended up bring home some old bottles, jars, an old milk crate and a mini cloche.















Stop number three - Estate Sale

My last stop was an estate sale. Mom and I had stopped there last weekend and they told us they would be holding another sale this weekend. The man who owns the house at one time had an Antique Shop in Harlem GA and he closed his shop and was unloading all his inventory. He held a sale several years ago that we attended and I knew that his back workshop held a ton of treasures. Last weekend I asked the lady if they were going to open the workshop this weekend and she said yes. Well guess what, they didn't have it open. All they had out was a bunch of sad, cracked, worthless stuff. So not much luck there. I bought one thing and really had to dig to find it. A little vintage pin with three hearts was the only worthy item I could find. I liked the little pin because it makes me think of me and my boys, we are a family of three!

 

I hope my junking partner is back with me next weekend. Junking is certainly much more fun with her along.

Hope you are enjoying the beautiful Fall weather and having a fabulous weekend!

More pic's of my finds this week here on our Facebook page.

Sharing with:
Apron Thrift Girl - Thrift Share Monday 
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson - Share your Cup






5 comments:

  1. I like what you found...especially that sweet pin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really nice haul! i love those jars! and that sweet little pin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds! The shapes and lids on those bottles are to die for....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bottles and jars you found. I'm saving up jars for a christmas display!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Junking is so much more fun when you have a friend (or mom) along. Love the Singer sewing library. I collect vintage sewing items also. The collection of bottles is fun. I have not seen a metal lid quite like that one with the key hole. Best way I could think to describe it. The pin is a sweet remembrance of you and your sons. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete