Sunday, October 14, 2012

Back in the Game

After being sidelined for the last two weekends (due to the nasty yucky flu), I was so excited to get back in the junk hunting game this weekend. A Methodist church held their semi annual rummage sale yesterday and Mom and I were there before the crack of dawn. I usually bring home quite a haul from this sale but is was a bust for me this go round. The best thing I found was a  pair of vintage gloves (still in the original package) and an old DuBarry hand mirror.








We wrapped up at the church sale and headed over to an annual neighborhood sale that usually has pretty good treasures but again it was a major disappointment. I did find a few good treasures though. A while back I had picked up a gorgeous cake plate because cake plates sell pretty good in our booth but this particular cake plate seems to still be sitting on the industrial rack in my kitchen. I just thought is was so lovely I couldn't part with it. Well yesterday I found another one just like it. This one will go to the booth (I love it when I find two of the same thing, that way I can keep one and sell one). I also stumbled upon two beautiful chenille blankets.





 

Our last stop of the day was the most exciting for me (not sure about Mom though). It was an estate sale advertising 1000's of items. Well the 1000's of items weren't in the house (in fact there wasn't that much in the house at all). However when I went around  to the back yard there were 1000's of items in a number of broken down old out buildings. I must say I felt like a real American Picker maneuvering through those dilapidated buildings. Unfortunately it was impossible to get to a lot of the stuff (and I have a feeling there was some good stuff buried in there) but I managed to drag out the following items.


How great is this old garden hose reel. I found three fabulous ideas for for transforming this and posted them on our Facebook if you want to check them out. 





Loved these old gas cans.




 

Hoping I can bring some life back to this little piece.


 

I don't know what this was originally used for but I am going to clean it up and use it as a thread holder.


 

I also found this little clock (well part of a clock). I loved the clock face.


 

So in the end I guess it was not such a disappointing day after all!
Hoping you are having a wonderful weekend!


10 comments:

  1. I think that you did great! I have an old gas can like the tall one. I repainted it red many years ago when I first found it, and I use it for my lawn mower gas. That hand mirror and that clock are fabulous finds in my book.
    It will be fun to see what you do with your hose reel.
    Have a sweet week, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice finds. I have a cake stand like the one shown and haven't been able to part with it either. Chenille bedspreads are selling at a good price on Ebay... if you list there. Just sold one Buy It Now last night - an hour or so after listing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you and your finds! glad you are feeling better!

    smiles,
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow what a score! love the garden hose reel and the chenille blankets :) regards, beverly from the Rock for beginners

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great finds! I would have had a hard time parting with that cake plate as well. I'm glad you found another one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The gloves were a sweet find!!!! You has some real fun picken from those out buildings!!! Cool clock:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I had to come back and tell you what I saw the other day. I saw a pair of old dress gloves that they had stuffed (probably pillow stuffing) sewed shut and used to display brooches. They were beautiful. I just thought I'd share.

    Have a wonderful autumn weekend.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cake plate! So happy that one gets to stay with you. The patina on the hose reel is fabulous and I am always a sucker for gas and oil cans. Glad you're feeling better! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete