Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Religious Experience

I met Mom Thursday evening after work to stop by an Estate Sale. Not just any estate sale but a Hill estate sale (the oldest houses in Augusta). Wish I had taken my camera so I could show you the house (it was amazing). I hadn't even gotten into the house when I picked up three cute garden signs.  I carried them in with me and started a pile. As I was laying the signs down a man asked me where I got them and I said I had picked them up outside the door. He said they were his, they were not marked sold so how was I to know. I didn't want to argue or be rude (I kinda wanted to say, you should have brought them inside or marked them) so I asked if he would let me have one and he agreed.


 There was a lot to look at so I headed upstairs first. There were oodles of hats, belts, purses, and clothes. I picked up quite a few hats to include a Stetson Bowler (which I am loving).






 As I added the hats to my pile I noticed another pile full of Vintage Christmas, dang I was disappointed I missed out on that! Oh well couldn't let that deflate me. I moved into the Dining Room and was struck by the table filled with vintage Catholic items. Mom was behind me and she reminded me I wasn't Catholic but I can't help it I am just drawn to the beauty of these objects.













I also picked up this Chalkware Madonna. She was stunning! She was sitting on a cheese plate with dome. The cheese plate had been turned upside down so that she would fit. I thought it was a fabulous idea!






After my religious experience I moved to the room that had old toys. I found a little bag of doll clothes, a teeny cloth doll and one very special doll. The special doll looked like she had surgery by some Mad Doll Surgeon. She seems to be made up of two different dolls. The top half is lovely, the bottom have is a strange. She is so out of proportion but you know I like the odd & unusual so I am giving her a home.






One last item I picked up was this little spice shelf. I love the little drawers. If I keep this it will get a little TLC and some paint.



I really wanted to go back today when they started marking down but Doctor's orders have me stuck at home and quite honestly after chest X-ray's, a shot, a breathing treatment, and three prescriptions I don't really feel like going. So I will follow the Doctor's advice and stay home and rest.

On a different note I have made some more progress with the Red Headed Girls costume. Here is a peek!


Hope you are having a great weekend!


Please visit our Facebook Page here for more photo's of the treasures I picked up from this sale. We would like you to "love" us on Facebook but since that option is not available we would love you to "like" us!

Sharing with:
Funky Junk Interiors - SNS 
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday 
Apron Thrift Girl - Thrift Share Monday 
Coastal Charm - Nifty Thrifty Tuesday 
Knick of Time 
Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson - Share Your Cup 
From My Front Porch to Yours - Treasure Hunt Thursday 
Common Ground - Vintage Inspiration



13 comments:

  1. Such beautiful religious items and the chalkware Madonna make a elegant prestation under the glass dome. That must have been one great sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like it was one fantastic sale! I love the hats you found. Very beautiful religious pieces you picked up as well. Even that little anchor is adorable. Of course, I love the shelf with drawers. I would have picked that up in a second as well.

    Is there a future Laura Ingalls in your household? Or maybe Anne Shirley? Hmmm. Guess we will have to wait and see.

    Take care and feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.M.G. Verna! FABULOUS finds...I am so jealous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are feeling better! I love all of your goodies you acquired at the Estate Sale. The shelf is just darling. It will be so cute.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you did find things to rave about. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love the hats, especially the Bowler hat. Those religious articles are truly beautiful.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the Madonna, and the doll is truly beautiful. Wonderful finds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - what wonderful finds! New follower.
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great finds! Thanx for sharing at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What great finds. I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many beautiful treasures...love that Madonna too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great sale. I sure would have loved to see the home that all of those vintage hats came out of. I enjoyed your religious experience. Sure hope you are feeling better. It's the pits when your health interferes with treasure hunting. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely finds! The quirky little doll is my absolute favorite!
    Saw you at From My Front Porch link party. Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete